Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Amazon EC2 SQL Server Express local instance name

Finally, I decided to put my works to a public hosting server, in order to see how it performs on the world wide web.

After a day or two of reading the users' reviews and comparing the prices, I decided to give Amazon a try, since it offers 'monthly free tier' plan a year for the new user. It's almost free of charge if your system configuration, loading and usage is under their offering limit.

This is prefect for me since my testing data under 4Gb, and I just want to test how's the system working under a remote server at this state.

After spending some hours to set up PHP under IIS 7.5 on windows 2008 R2, I started to move my testing data to the SQL server Express. However, the weird thing is the SQL Manager cannot see the local instance in the drop-down list box. The lucky thing is I'm not alone, and found the answer on the AWS forum.

Just type in (local)\ec2sqlexpress as the server name and here you go.

No comments: