Friday, December 16, 2011

Web base application development - php, sqlsrv, apache

I'm trying to use sqlsrv driver for php to migrate my two-tier database application which was build in Powerbuilder since version 9 then was upgraded to 10.5 and then 12.5 today, and is running on MS SQL Server from 2000 then 2005 with mirroring, and today on 2008 R2.

The version migration of Powerbuilder was interesting, from ansi to unicode, from classic to .net (but not success ><" since I'm a noob of .net). Also, setting up mirroring in SQL Server 2005 & 2008 has a lot of funs that would got someone interests, I guess these would be shared later someday.

Back to the topic, in order to minimal the efforts on database migration; indeed, I did consider mysql, as it seemed more comfortable with PHP; however, for the consideration of running the old and the new applications concurrently, I decided not to make changes for the back-end as a smooth and successful migration to web base is the primary objective.

I have some options to pick which database driver to communicate the MS SQL Server.
1. MSSQL
2. SQLSRV
3. PDO

I decided to give SQLSRV a shot, since it is newer than MSSQL and it seems have more features than PDO.

Updated: now, I'm using sqlserver driver to work with SQL 2008 and php, and executed stored-procedure for returning a result set, and porting into a jqgrid.

No comments: